So, thirty years later...

..I arrived back at the Natural History Museum in London. I haven't been there since I visited with my old primary school, and seeing as it was free to get in.. well that was the clincher.Missed the corners

Ducking under the skeletal model of the Diplodocus I entered the central hall, I remembered this being colossal when I was only a child so I wanted one that took in as much as my wide angle could do, albeit with a little panoramic thrown in as well. The museum is a great place for photo opportunities but you are not allowed to use a tripod, so all my shots were hand held.

I took a few shots from the first stair landing. This wasn't so good, all I could see was the arse end of the diplodocus and every tourist in the world cramming itself into the entrance, (of the museum not the diplococus). The better shot is to be taken above the entrance looking back towards the back of the central hall. I had timed this perfectly as the light from outside was shining on the statue of  Darwin sitting on the first stair landing. I decided to try a 15 shot panoramic from this position, five along the top, five middle and five below.

After four hours of looking around the place and taking around 250 shots of exhibits, architecture and the odd tourist, I decided to head home. I had a look through my collection and could see the 15 shot panoramic didn't look to bad but I wouldn't realise my slight mistake until I had them plugged into the pc.

Where as the panoramic was OK I seem to have missed out the four corners. Either this was from the way it was stitched together or I need to remember to do maybe six top and bottom and only five in the middle.

I took two pictures from this one shot. A landscape and a portrait. I worked on the portrait version for a while, trying different styles and edits.


The first is a quick edit to see how the image would look with dark stone. The second with a much lighter tone and a lot of sharpening to bring out the details in the stone.

The third has a texture overlaid with 50% opacity to give it a more scratchy look. The fourth is a montage of all three. In the end I decided to take out the texture and return to the lighter version.

I have saved this as a preset in Lightroom 4 as I like the way it brings out the detail for brick work. Knowing me I will also spend a few hours going back over a few other photos to see how this preset  works for them.

Never happy with a photo! Must learn to let go!